Monday, March 23, 2009

X Forwarding with Fedora image

At first I couldn't figure out how to see X programs from the Fedora image on my local box. I installed the packages needed for xclock and ran ssh with the -X flag (and the -i flag for my identity file), but no luck. I found forum post suggesting using the -v flag. When I did that I saw debug output about xauth not being installed. I searched on that and found a useful post on an IBM forum. It turns out all I have to do is install xauth, and X seems to be forwarded properly.

I am considering using ruby-gtk2 for the next project. It's not installed on the CS lab computers I've tried so I thought I could use an image on EC2. Maybe that's a waste of resources, but it's nice to have that option. Haven't tried out the ruby-gtk2 yet, but I'll post on how it works.

No comments: