Thursday, October 18, 2007

Happy Ubuntu Day!

I have been using Linux as my main desktop OS since 2002 or 2003 (with a two year mission hiatus). I had tried Suse, Mandrake and a little Red Hat/Fedora. When I returned to the world of computers in Summer 2006, I was surprised to learn from my dad of a popular new Linux distribution. Ubuntu? I was skeptical.

That skepticism soon left as I tried the OS. Most things just worked. What has been very interesting is what has happened since. It seems with almost every release they add some new feature that might make some say, "How did I ever live without that?"

Today's release, for example, automatically sets up a printer once it's plugged in. I didn't particularly mind going through the printer set up wizards. Now that I know I don't have to would probably find the process frustrating. Canonical, the makers of Ubuntu, consider the details, making small improvements that make a big difference. As I learn to develop software I hope I have a similar attitude towards usability.

I am excited to find some bandwidth and download the newest version, 7.10 the Gutsy Gibbon, released today. They say desktop effects (like the transparent window borders in Vista) should work out of the box. I'm a little skeptical, but I was last summer, too.

No comments: